Re: BUG #15552: Unexpected error in COPY to a foreign table in a transaction

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Luis Carril <luis(dot)carril(at)swarm64(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15552: Unexpected error in COPY to a foreign table in a transaction
Date: 2018-12-18 05:04:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:24:54PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> I noticed that too. As you say, it is not possible to exercise a test we
> might add for this with `make check`, because it runs with a fixed value
> of wal_level (= replica). But it is possible with `make installcheck` on
> a cluster that's running with wal_level = minimal. Maybe, something like
> this:
>
> [...]
>
> From the above output, your patch will make "ERROR: could not open file
> xxx" go away.

Last time we discussed about adding a test case in this area, we came up
with a TAP test, so this could apply here as well:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f20181114.124736.206988673.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp

What scares me a lot about complicating this code is that we are not
seeing the end of it with this so-said optimization in removing the
relfilenode like that... There are other fancy cases where the failure
can happen (please see patch 0001).
--
Michael