Re: ALTER INDEX ... ALTER COLUMN not present in dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Subject: Re: ALTER INDEX ... ALTER COLUMN not present in dump
Date: 2018-12-17 05:14:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 08:08:45AM +0000, Amul Sul wrote:
> dump-alter-index-stats-v2.patch looks pretty much reasonable to me, passing on committer.
>
> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

Thanks Amul for the review. I got the occasion to look again at this
patch, and I have read again the original thread which has added the new
grammar for ALTER INDEX SET STATISTICS:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPpHfdsSYo6xpt0F=ngAdqMPFJJhC7zApde9h1qwkdpHpwFisA@mail.gmail.com

As Alexander and others state on this thread, it looks a bit weird to
use internally-produced attribute names in those SQL queries, which is
why the new grammar has been added. At the same time, it looks more
solid to me to represent the dumps with those column names instead of
column numbers. Tom, Alexander, as you have commented on the original
thread, perhaps you have an opinion here to share?

For now, attached is an updated patch which has a simplified test list
in the TAP test. I have also added two free() calls for the arrays
getting allocated when statistics are present for an index.
--
Michael