Re: removal of dangling temp tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: removal of dangling temp tables
Date: 2018-12-14 17:26:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Dec-14, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:29 AM Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I think the best way to fix this is to call RemoveTempRelations()
> > unconditionally at session start (without doing the rest of the temp
> > table setup, just the removal.)
>
> That would certainly simplify things. I think I thought about that as
> far back as a734fd5d1c309cc553b7c8c79fba96218af090f7 but it seemed
> like a significant behavior change and I wasn't sure that everyone
> would like it. In particular, it adds overhead to backend startup
> that, in the case of a large temp schema, could be fairly long.

Hmm, I think in the case covered by your commit, that is a session that
crashes with a few thousands of temp tables, this new patch might cause
a failure to open a new session altogether.

Maybe it'd be better to change temp table removal to always drop
max_locks_per_transaction objects at a time (ie. commit/start a new
transaction every so many objects).

Attachment Content-Type Size
clean-temp-ns-startup.patch text/x-diff 1.9 KB