Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue
Date: 2018-12-11 21:33:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-12-10 15:38:55 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Also, I'm not entirely sure whether there's anything in our various
> replication logic that's dependent on vacuum truncation taking AEL.
> Offhand I'd expect the reduced use of AEL to be a plus, but maybe
> I'm missing something.

It'd be a *MAJOR* plus. One of the biggest operational headaches for
using a HS node for querying is that there'll often be conflicts due to
vacuum truncating relations (which logs an AEL), even if
hot_standby_feedback is used. There's been multiple proposals to
allow disabling truncations just because of that.

Greetings,

Andres Freund