Re: [Todo item] Add entry creation timestamp column to pg_stat_replication

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "myungkyu(dot)lim" <myungkyu(dot)lim(at)samsung(dot)com>
Cc: 'Masahiko Sawada' <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, woosung(dot)sohn(at)samsung(dot)com, don(dot)hong(at)samsung(dot)com
Subject: Re: [Todo item] Add entry creation timestamp column to pg_stat_replication
Date: 2018-12-04 06:06:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 12:56:25PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have been looking at this patch more in-depth, and you missed one
> critical thing: hot standby feedback messages also include the timestamp
> the client used when sending the message, so if we want to track the
> latest time when a message has been sent we should track it as much as
> the timestamp from status update messages.
>
> Fixing that and updating a couple of comments and variables, I am
> finishing with the attached. Thoughts?
>
> (The catversion bump is a self-reminder, don't worry about it.)

Another thing which is crossing my mind is if it would make sense to
report the timestamp of the last HS feedback message and the timestamp
of the last status update message into two separate columns. As the
point of this field is to help with the debugging of mostly idle systems
it seems to me that merging both is fine, but I'd like to hear extra
opinions about that.
--
Michael