Re: First SVG graphic

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First SVG graphic
Date: 2018-11-28 18:05:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 06:34:26PM +0100, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> After one week no response at all? Neither positive nor negative. It seems that
> the community has little interest in the SVG issue. Or in my suggestion?

I have been waiting for someone to take leadership on this important
topic, and have read your 11-page PDF with great interest.

I think your work flow on page 4 clearly illustrates that, even if we
store both native, e.g., Inkscape, and optimized SVG files, we are going
to have a problem. If someone takes the optimized SVG file, loads it
into a tool other than the tool that created the original file, modifies
it, saves new native and optimized SVG files, and then someone goes back
to the original tool, the native file will not have the modifications
that were made by the new tool and in the new native SVG file. This
suggests we should just use one tool to handle SVG files, probably
Inkscape. We can consider other tools later, but let's just standardize
on one tool now and get going. I realize you can import SVG files into
tools that did not create them, but it seems unlikely the new optimized
SVG file will appear similar to the old one.

As far as rendering in HTML, I think we have two choices:

1. make images a link to an SVG file that can be rendered in a new
browser tab

2. convert the SVG to PNG for HTML rendering.

I kind of prefer #2.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +