Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeremy Harris <jgh(at)wizmail(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)
Date: 2018-11-27 17:30:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-11-27 14:14:24 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 25/11/2018 23:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> >
> >> Why don't we probe for python2 in addition to python by default? That
> >> ought to make RHEL 8 work, without making the switch just yet.
> >
> > I'm unexcited about that because that *would* be expressing a version
> > preference --- and one that's on the wrong side of history.
>
> I think it would be appropriate to probe in the order
>
> python python3 python2
>
> This would satisfy most scenarios that are valid under PEP 394.

ISTM we should first go for python, python2, python3 in all branches,
and then have a separate master only commit that changes over the order
to prefer python3 over 2. I don't think preferring 3 over 2 would be
appropriate for past branches, but it'll surely become more common to
run into distros without "python" installed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund