Re: pgsql: Integrate recovery.conf into postgresql.conf

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Integrate recovery.conf into postgresql.conf
Date: 2018-11-26 17:21:18
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Sergei Kornilov (sk(at)zsrv(dot)org) wrote:
> > I would think we'd have the different GUCs and then the check functions
> > would only validate that they're valid inputs and then when we get to
> > the point where we're starting to do recovery we check and make sure
> > we've been given a sane overall configuration- which means that only
> > *one* is set, and it matches the recovery target requested.
> How about something like attached patch?

I've not been following this very closely, but seems like
recovery_target_string is a bad idea.. Why not just make that
'recovery_target_immediate' and make it a boolean? Having a GUC that's
only got one valid value seems really odd.

> + if (targetSettingsCount > 1)
> + ereport(FATAL,
> + (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
> + errmsg("can not specify multiple recovery targets")));

I think I would have done 'if (targetSettingsCount != 1)' here.

> -# Multiple targets
> -# Last entry has priority (note that an array respects the order of items
> -# not hashes).

You could (and imv should) include a test that throws an expected error
if multiple targets are specified.

Thanks!

Stephen