Re: pgsql: Add PGXS options to control TAP and isolation tests

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add PGXS options to control TAP and isolation tests
Date: 2018-11-26 02:21:15
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:33:51AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Several buildfarm members complain about this commit, including dory and
> longfin:
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dory&dt=2018-11-26%2000%3A00%3A26
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=longfin&dt=2018-11-25%2023%3A59%3A03
>
> The error comes from the TAP tests of contrib/bloom/, which we have
> never run across the buildfarm until now:
> # Failed test 'initial: query result matches'
> # at t/001_wal.pl line 38.
> # got: '0|d
> # 0|9
> # 0|3
>
> I am not sure what to think of that yet, so as a short-term fix and to
> keep the buildfarm green, I am going to disable the TAP tests for bloom,
> but something is busted there, either in the code or in the tests.

I have been fighting with the buildfarm a bit this morning, but this is
proving to have a larger subset of issues than I anticipated first.
Here is the collection of my notes:
- MSVC scripts assume that REGRESS_OPTS can only use top_builddir. Some
test suites actually finish by using top_srcdir, like pg_stat_statements
which cause the regression tests to never run on Windows!
- Trying to enforce top_builddir does not work either when using VPATH
as this is not recognized properly.
- TAP tests of bloom are unstable on various platforms, causing various
failures.

As a result, I have reverted all the recent changes which introduced
those new PGXS options. I am going to spawn a set of thread to address
all the underlying issues first as those deserve more discussion. There
is a collection of tests not actually running on Windows.
--
Michael