Re: fix psql \conninfo & \connect when using hostaddr

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: fix psql \conninfo & \connect when using hostaddr
Date: 2018-11-17 15:58:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Nov-17, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > I think so some redundant messages can be reduced - see function
> > printConnInfo - attached patch
>
> I thought about doing like that, but I made the debatable choice to keep the
> existing redundancy because it minimizes diffs and having a print-to-stdout
> special function does not look like a very clean API, as it cannot really be
> used by non CLI clients.

What? This is psql, so it doesn't affect non-CLI clientes, does it?

On the other hand, one message says "you're NOW connected", the other
doesn't have the "now". If we're dropping the "now" (I think it's
useless), let's make an explicit choice about it. TBH I'd drop the
"you're" also, so both \conninfo and \c would say

Connected to database foo <conn details>

Anyway, a trivial change that's sure to make bikeshed paint seller cry
with so many customers yelling at each other; not for this patch.