Re: Getting ERROR: could not open file "base/13164/t3_16388" with partition table with ON COMMIT

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting ERROR: could not open file "base/13164/t3_16388" with partition table with ON COMMIT
Date: 2018-11-06 00:20:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 04:37:25PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think this code should collect all the OIDs to be dropped, then use a
> single performMultipleDeletions() at the end, after the heap_truncate
> call is done. That seems better to me than a relkind check.

Yes, using a relkind checks seems error-prone to me, and you worked hard
to make sure that the drop machinery handles dependencies by itself,
(because you authored that work, right? :) ).

Amit has started a new thread about this problem as that's not only
related to partitions, but also to inheritance:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/68f17907-ec98-1192-f99f-8011400517f5@lab.ntt.co.jp

Could it be possible to move the thread there? I have some other
comments about the patch, which I am going to provide there.
--
Michael