Re: INSTALL file

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSTALL file
Date: 2018-11-01 06:26:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 01:32:09AM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Picking up on this idea, attached is a first draft for changing the
> README.

Why don't you add it to the upcoming commit fest? It would be good to
get some traction with a formal review.

> It includes links to the website, as well as the short version of the
> installation instructions.

+The installation instructions are listed on the website:
+
+https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-short.html
+
+Short version:
+
+./configure
+make
+su
+make install
+adduser postgres
+mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
+chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
+su - postgres
+/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
+/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start

Adding a section about installation and another one about documentation
are good things. Now for the installation section I disagree about
adding this detailed way of doing things, and just adding a URL looks
enough.

Pointing to the global installation recommendations would be a better
fit also as a lot of things are platform-dependent. So this URL looks
better:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/installation.html

Now there is also a problem, the README would point out to the
development version of the documentation. As this is made at working
using git, I could personally live with having stable branches also
refer to the development version, but it could also make sense to have
each stable branch point to the URL of the versions they work on.
--
Michael