Re: pgsql: Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initial snapshot

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initial snapshot
Date: 2018-10-22 15:36:25
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Oct-14, Andres Freund wrote:

> > Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initial snapshot

> I'm unhappy this approach was taken over objections. Without a real
> warning. Even leaving the crummyness aside, did you check other users
> of XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS, e.g. logical decoding?

Mumble. Is there a real problem here -- I mean, did this break logical
decoding? Maybe we need some more tests to ensure this stuff works
sanely for logical decoding.

FWIW and not directly related, I recently became aware (because of a
customer question) that txid_current_snapshot() is oblivious of
XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS in a standby. AFAICS it's not a really serious
concern, but it was surprising.