vacuum fails with "could not open statistics file" "Device or resource busy"

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net
Subject: vacuum fails with "could not open statistics file" "Device or resource busy"
Date: 2018-10-20 02:15:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

buildfarm member lorikeet had an interesting buildfarm failure in the
logical decoding test. The failure looks unrelated to logical decoding,
but might be more widely relevant:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=lorikeet&dt=2018-10-19%2011%3A22%3A34
VACUUM FULL pg_class;
+ WARNING: could not open statistics file "pg_stat_tmp/global.stat": Device or resource busy

Now that animal is cygwin based, so maybe it's just some random
weirdness. But ISTM it could also indicate a bug of some sort.

Were it native windows, I'd assume we'd keep a file open with the wrong
flags or such...

Greetings,

Andres Freund