Re: Slotification of partition tuple conversion

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slotification of partition tuple conversion
Date: 2018-10-02 07:35:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-09-28 15:36:00 +0530, Amit Khandekar wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 03:33, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Amit,
> >
> > Could you rebase this patch, it doesn't apply anymore.
>
> Thanks for informing. Attached are both mine and Amit Langote's patch
> rebased and attached ...

I wasn't quite happy yet with that patch.

- ConvertTupleSlot seems like a too generic name, it's very unclear it's
related to tuple mapping, rather than something internal to slots. I
went for execute_attr_map_slot (and renamed do_convert_tuple to
execute_attr_map_tuple, to match).

I'd welcome a better name.

- I disliked inheritence_tupconv_map, it doesn't seem very clear why
this is named inheritence_* (typo aside). I went for
convert_tuples_by_name_map_if_req() - while I think this sounds
too much like it converts tuples itself it should be renamed with the
rest of the convert_tuples_by_* routines.

I'd welcome a better name.

- Combined the two patches, they seemed to largely affect related code

I'm pretty tired right now, so I'm sure the patch, as attached, contains
a few flubs. I'll try to get this committed tomorrow morning PST.

- Andres

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Change-partition-mapping-code-to-use-slots-more-wide.patch text/x-diff 29.1 KB