Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Ilya Kosmodemiansky <ik(at)dataegret(dot)com>, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 15:12:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Greetings,

* James Keener (jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com) wrote:
> > > I fail to see how that makes everyone here part of a community anymore
> > than
> > > I'm part of the "community" of regulars at a bar I walk into for the
> > first
> > > time.
> >
> > Does the bartender get to kick you out if you get into a fight? Or if
> > you're rude or inappropriate towards the waitress? Yup, doesn't matter
> > if it's the first time you were in the bar or not.
>
> You're perverting and twisting my argument. Don't do that.

I was trying to follow your analogy. My apologies that it's not a great
one, I raised that same concern in the part of my email you omitted.

> My comment was that I'm not part of the "community" of the bar by simply
> walking into the bar; not that the bar has to serve me.
>
> Please try to argue only what's being argued and not what you think you're
> reading into my comments.

The point I was making is that these lists are more like the bar and the
list manager like the bartender. Yes, actions outside of the lists can
impact if someone's allowed to participate on these lists. There's, of
course, a test of reasonableness and things like disagreements about
political views expressed outside of these lists aren't likely to make
the CoC feel that someone isn't appropriate for participation, even if a
complaint is made, but that doesn't mean that only actions on the list
are considered.

(note that I'm not part of the CoC, nor core, this is my expression of
how I feel things should be, as a member of this community)

Thanks!

Stephen