Re: [HACKERS] Cutting initdb's runtime (Perl question embedded)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Cutting initdb's runtime (Perl question embedded)
Date: 2018-09-12 22:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:00:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>> One thing that I can see changing with this patch is how timezone is set
>> in postgresql.conf. For example, on HEAD I get 'Japan' while this patch
>> gives back 'Asia/Tokyo'. Could it be an issue for countries with
>> multiple timezones? I am not sure how Russian systems would react on
>> that for example.
>
> Interesting --- what platform were you testing on?

Debian SID, with Asia/Tokyo used for /etc/localtime.

> I believe that this patch will never make for any functional change,
> it will only give you some other alias for the zone it would have
> selected anyway. This could only fail to be true if there are
> distinct timezones that score_timezone() is failing to tell apart,
> which would be a bug in score_timezone, not this patch. (Presumably,
> we could fix any such bug by increasing the number of dates that
> score_timezone tests.)

Looking at the list of aliases, I am not seeing listed countries running
across multiple timezones, so that may be fine.. Anyway, your change,
and particularly the cut of time in running initdb, which matters for
TAP tests, are definitely good things in my opinion. So I am switching
that as ready for committer.
--
Michael