Re: [Patch] Create a new session in postmaster by calling setsid()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Paul Guo <pguo(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Patch] Create a new session in postmaster by calling setsid()
Date: 2018-09-12 06:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 12:11:26PM +0800, Paul Guo wrote:
> Yes, if considering the case of starting postmaster manually, we can not
> create
> a new session in postmaster, so pg_ctl seems to be a good place for setsid()
> call. Attached a newer patch. Thanks.

Hmm. This patch breaks a feature of pg_ctl that I am really fond of for
development. When starting a node which enters in recovery, I sometimes
use Ctrl-C to stop pg_ctl, which automatically makes the started
Postgres instance to stop, and this saves more strokes. With your
patch, you don't get that anymore: when issuing Ctrl-C on pg_ctl then
the started instance still runs in the background. I would be ready to
accept a patch which does not change the default behavior, and makes the
deamonization behavior activated only if an option switch is given by
the user, like -d/--daemon. So I am -1 for what is proposed in its
current shape.
--
Michael