Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: kalyanithumati(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.
Date: 2018-09-09 22:22:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 04:14:45PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference: 15376
> Logged by: kalyani kaniganti
> Email address: kalyanithumati(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.19
> Operating system: SUSE LINUX
>
> Currently, we are using 9.4.17 version of Postgre SQL and due to the
> security vulnerabilities reported(CVE-2018-10925,
> CVE-2018-10915) we are upgrading the Postgres SQL to 9.4.19 version as the
> fixes are available.
> The application started up successfully with 9.4.19 version and DB
> transactions are working fine, But we are facing issues when upgrading the
> database from 9.1 version to latest version 9.4.19.
> pg_upgrade is failing and throwing the below error.
> The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.
> Failure, exiting
> ERROR: DB upgrade failed!
> From some of the sites and Postgre SQL.org, we have noticed that this error
> occurs when an old server doesn't shut down properly and pg_upgarde is
> failing to check that and in 9.4.19 version release notes mentioned that
> this issue is fixed.
> But still we are facing the error, Could anyone of you can share the details
> that issue is fixed in 9.4.19 and suggest how we can proceed further to
> resolve this issue.

What 9.4.19 fixed is that users were doing a pg_ctl -m immediate, and
then running pg_upgrade, and getting _silently_ corrupted upgrades.
9.4.19 fixes this so pg_upgrade properly complains when this happens.

You should only see that error if you are doing "immediate" shutdowns of
your server, and this is not supported, and throws ane error. Are you
seeing the pg_upgrade error message when you do a _clean_ shutdown of
your servers?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +