Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jerry Jelinek <jerry(dot)jelinek(at)joyent(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Date: 2018-08-22 14:06:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Aug-21, Jerry Jelinek wrote:

> Tomas,
>
> Thanks for doing all of this testing. Your testing and results are much
> more detailed than anything I did. Please let me know if there is any
> follow-up that I should attempt.

Either I completely misread these charts, or there is practically no
point to disabling WAL recycling (except on btrfs, but then nobody in
their right minds would use it for Postgres given these numbers anyway).
I suppose that the use case that was initially proposed (ZFS) has not
yet been tested so we shouldn't reject this patch immediately, but
perhaps what Joyent people should be doing now is running Tomas' test
script on ZFS and see what the results look like.