Re: [GSoC] Summery of pg performance farm

From: Mark Wong <mark(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Hongyuan Ma <mahongyuan1997(at)gmail(dot)com>, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Summery of pg performance farm
Date: 2018-08-21 15:10:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 12:20:37PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Aug-19, Hongyuan Ma wrote:
> > 2. Implementation of the data report related to the list page. Compare each
> > metrics whith the previous results. If any of the metrics are a 5%
> > improvement( or regression), there is one aspect that is progressive (or
> > regressive). This means there may be aspects of "improvement", "regression"
> > and "status quo" in one test result.This is the report List page for an
> > example: http://140.211.168.111/#/machineInfo/pmJEjJjSk3WREM3Q
>
> Great stuff!
>
> I think the visualization that many had in mind was that the numbers
> would be displayed in charts there time is the horizontal axis, and the
> numerical performance result number is the other axis. That way, we
> can see how the results go up or down with commits.
>
> Individual happy/sad faces for individual commits are not enough to see
> the bigger picture.

I advised Hongyuan to try something simple here at first. My initial
thought was a quick indicator (to not take up too much space on the
screen) and to drill down into the individual plant specifics to view
more details of history.

pgbench is running read-only and read-write tests with scale factors at
10, 1 x memory, and 2 x memory. We could reduce the variations of the
tests if folks feel that would make more sense. I thought the current
number of variations might be too many things to trend on this page, but
we can change that.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Wong http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services