Re: POC for a function trust mechanism

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC for a function trust mechanism
Date: 2018-08-09 19:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 01:15:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> This is sort of a counter-proposal to Noah's discussion of search path
> security checking in <20180805080441(dot)GH1688868(at)rfd(dot)leadboat(dot)com>.
> (There's no technical reason we couldn't do both things, but I think
> this'd be more useful to most people.)

So, this is why I always fully-qualify all references to functions,
tables, etc. I also always set a search_path on each function just in
case I accidentally leave a non-fully-qualified symbol.

I would like to have a way to request that all non-fully-qualified
symbols be resolved at function create/replace time and that the
resolution results be made permanent for the function. If I have
several schemas in a search_path at function definition time, this would
not allow me to move dependencies around without replacing the
dependents -- that's OK for me.

Nico