Re: Temporary tables prevent autovacuum, leading to XID wraparound

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables prevent autovacuum, leading to XID wraparound
Date: 2018-08-08 14:40:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Aug-08, Michael Paquier wrote:

> As this introduces a new
> field to PGPROC, so back-patching the thing as-is would cause an ABI
> breakage. Are folks here fine with the new field added to the bottom of
> the structure for the backpatched versions, including v11? I have found
> about commit 13752743 which has also added a new field called
> isBackgroundWorker in the middle of PGPROC in a released branch, which
> looks to me like an ABI breakage...

Unnoticed ABI breaks make my hair stand on end.

I suppose if we didn't know about 13752743 earlier, then not much
outside code relies on PGPROC, or at least its members after
isBackgroundWorker. I wouldn't move it now (I suppose anyone who cared
has already adjusted for it), but please do put your new member at the
end in backbranches.

I'm unsure about pg11 -- is it a backbranch already or not? Since we've
released beta3 already, ISTM we should consider it so.