Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to a partitioned table on foreign server

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to a partitioned table on foreign server
Date: 2018-08-03 03:59:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, thank you for the comment.

At Wed, 01 Aug 2018 21:21:57 +0900, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in <5B61A5E5(dot)6010707(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
> (2018/06/12 12:19), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > I have demonstrated and actually shown a problem of the
> > PARAM_EXEC case.
>
> > A. Just detecting and reporting/erroring the problematic case.
> >
> > B. Giving to Sort-like nodes an ability to convert PARAMS into
> > junk columns.
> >
> > C. Adding a space for 64bit tuple identifier in a tuple header.
> >
> > D. Somehow inhibiting tuple-storing node like Sort between. (This
> > should break something working.)
> >

> > B seems to have possibility to fix this but I haven't have a
> > concrete design of it.
>
> I'm just wondering whether we could modify the planner (or executor)
> so that Params can propagate up to the ModifyTable node through all
> joins like Vars/PHVs.

Yeah, it's mentioned somewhere upthread. The most large obstacle
in my view is the fact that the tuple descriptor for an
RTE_RELATION baserel is tied with the relation definition. So we
need to separate the two to use "(junk) Vars/PHVs" to do that
purpose. The four above is based on the premise of EXEC_PARAMS.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center