Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Subject: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date: 2018-07-27 01:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Is there any real reason to retain it? I realize it's not been a huge
issue to maintain the format, but it has significantly fewer features
than the other formats, without corresponding upsides (sql is clearer to
read, directory format has parallelism, custom is a single file while
allowing to select sub-sets of the data). There's also the fact that it
creates temp files, which other formats don't.

Given the apparent lack of upside, it doesn't seem good to offer a
sub-par choice to our users.

If we were to remove it, it'd obviously be a drawn out affair, given
that we likely couldn't drop it from the restore side immediately...

Greetings,

Andres Freund