Re: Early WIP/PoC for inlining CTEs

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Early WIP/PoC for inlining CTEs
Date: 2018-07-25 15:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 07:42:37AM +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> Please find attached a version rebased atop 167075be3ab1547e18 with
> what I believe are appropriate changes to regression test output. The
> other changes to the regression tests output are somewhat puzzling, as
> they change the actual results of queries. I've also attached both
> the "leftover" diff and the files to which it should be applied.

I think the SQL programmer needs some control over whether a CTE is:

- a materialized view -- and therefore a barrier
- a view (which can then be inlined by the optimizer)

It is possible to add a keyword for this purpose in the WITH syntax:

WITH VIEW (...) AS a_view
, MATERIALIZED VIEW (...) AS a_barrier
...;

This would be a lot like creating TEMP views, but without the catalog
overhead.

(I wonder how hard it would be to partiion the OID namespace into
temp/persistent ranges so that temp schema elements need not be written
into the catalog.)

Nico