Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-23 14:32:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:31:14AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On July 23, 2018 6:25:42 AM PDT, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >Notice this makes no mention of what happens to the patents if the
> >company goes bankrupt. My guess is that in such a situation the
> >company
> >would have no control over who buys the patents or how they are used.
>
> It explicitly says irrevocable and successors. Why seems squarely
> aimed at your concern. Bankruptcy wouldn't just invalidate that.

Until this has been upheld in court, it's just a vague idea.

> Similarly icenses like Apache 2 grant a perpetual and irrevocable
> patent grant for the use in the contribution.

The "upheld in court" business applies here, too.

I know it's tempting to look at formal-looking texts and infer that
they operate something vaguely like computer code, but that is
manifestly not the case.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778