Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhils(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Sokolov Yura <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date: 2018-07-23 14:14:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-07-23 19:37:46 +0530, Nikhil Sontakke wrote:
> Hi Andres,

> >> When will this error be thrown by the catalog functions? How will it
> >> determine that it needs to throw this error?
> >
> > The error check would have to happen at the end of most systable_*
> > functions. They'd simply do something like
> >
> > if (decoding_in_progress_xact && TransactionIdDidAbort(xid_of_aborted))
> > ereport(ERROR, (errcode(DECODING_ABORTED_XACT), errmsg("oops")));
> >
> > i.e. check whether the transaction to be decoded still is in
> > progress. As that would happen before any potentially wrong result can
> > be returned (as the check happens at the tail end of systable_*),
> > there's no issue with wrong state in the syscache etc.
> >

> Oh, ok. The systable_* functions use the passed in snapshot and return
> tuples matching to it. They do not typically have access to the
> current XID being worked upon..

That seems like quite a solvable issue, especially compared to the
locking schemes proposed.

> We can find out if the snapshot is a logical decoding one by virtue of
> its "satisfies" function pointing to HeapTupleSatisfiesHistoricMVCC.

I think we even can just do something like a global
TransactionId check_if_transaction_is_alive = InvalidTransactionId;
and just set it up during decoding. And then just check it whenever it's
not set tot InvalidTransactionId.

Greetings,

Andres Freund