Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Date: 2018-07-23 08:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 08:16:52AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> I guess that is due to some missing files related to the libraries
> listed in shared_preload_library. If so, no, because this patch
> relates to failure before main().

No, I really mean a library dependency failure. For example, imagine
that Postgres is compiled on Windows dynamically, and that it depends on
libxml2.dll, which is itself compiled dynamically. Then imagine, in a
custom build echosystem, that a folk comes in and adds lz support to
libxml2 on Windows. If Postgres still consumes libxml2 but does not add
in its PATH a version of lz, then a backend in need of libxml2 would
fail to load, causing Postgres to not start properly. True, painful,
story.

What is ticking me is if the popup window stuff discussed on this thread
could be a problem in the detection of such dependency errors, as with
the product I am thinking about, Postgres is not running as a service,
but kicked by another thing which is a service, and monitors the
postmaster.
--
Michael