Re: Make foo=null a warning by default.

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make foo=null a warning by default.
Date: 2018-07-18 15:21:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 08:25:46AM -0400, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> >I assure you that you expression yourself in English a good deal
> >better than I do in Portuguese.
>
> Alas, despite a Portuguese "rabbit" name, I cannot speak the language which
> got lost between generations.

I fear my kids may lose French the same way. Mine's already not great,
and that's in just one generation.

> About this v3: Patch applies, compiles, "make check" ok.
>
> A few minor comments:
>
> Variable "need_transform_null_equals" may be better named "is_null_equals",
> because there is no "need" of the transformation as such, and the expression
> just checks for the pattern, really.

Done.

> I'm fine with the off/warn/error/on order.
>
> Doc could mention that the transformation allows compatibility with other
> products, without naming them? Or not.

I don't see a point in obscuring the origin.

> In doc, the list of valid values on a long line, where the practice seems to
> wrap around after about 80 columns in the XML file.

Fixed.

> I notice that the feature was not tested at all before this patch:-(
>
> Maybe there could be one test which results to true, which is the whole
> point of the transformation? eg "SELECT NULL = NULL".

Done.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-transform_null_equals-into-an-enum-v4.patch text/x-diff 12.4 KB