Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Date: 2018-07-18 04:10:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:12:06 +0800, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote in <CAMsr+YHv0KfWhA+Z=UVydpvLQ-QyLaidBqpHxQ=YqTPiDGG6dg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> On 26 February 2018 at 12:06, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <
> tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com]
> > > The patch proposed here means that early crashes will invoke WER. If
> > we're
> > > going to allow WER we should probably just do so unconditionally.
> > >
> > > I'd be in favour of leaving WER on when we find out we're in a
> > noninteractive
> > > service too, but that'd be a separate patch for pg11+ only.
> >
> > As for PG11+, I agree that we want to always leave WER on. That is, call
> > SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS) but not specify
> > SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX. The problem with the current specification of
> > PostgreSQL is that the user can only get crash dumps in a fixed folder
> > $PGDATA\crashdumps. That location is bad because the crash dumps will be
> > backed up together with the database cluster without the user noticing it.
> > What's worse, the crash dumps are large. With WER, the user can control
> > the location and size of crash dumps.
> >

> Yeah, that's quite old and dates back to when Windows didn't offer much if
> any control over WER in services.

Yeah. If we want to take a crash dump, we cannot have
auto-restart. Since it is inevitable what we can do for this
would be adding a new knob for that, which cannot be turned on
together with restart_after_crash...?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi