Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption

From: Toshi Harada <harada(dot)toshi(at)po(dot)ntt-tx(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Date: 2018-07-13 07:56:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

I am interested in a patch of "WIP: Data at rest encryption".
This patch("data-at-rest-encryption-wip-2018.06.27.patch") is applied to PostgreSQL 11-beta 2 and it is running.

In the explanation of this patch, since "data stored during logical decoding" is written,
we tried logical decoding by the test_decoding module, but the following error occurs when creating a slot.

pgbench_db=# SELECT * FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('my_slot', 'test_decoding');
ERROR: invalid magic number B419 in log segment 000000020000000000000010, offset 0
pgbench_db=#

(Also, if you run "CREATE SUNSCRIPTION" for logical replication from another server, a similar error will occur.)

Question.
In "data-at-rest-encryption-wip-2018.06.27.patch", is logical decoding still not implemented?
Or is there a need for another logical decoding plug-in for "WIP: Data at rest encryption"?

Regards.