Re: Non-reserved replication slots and slot advancing

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: Non-reserved replication slots and slot advancing
Date: 2018-07-06 05:26:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 01:07:47PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> Form the reasons above, I'd like to vote +1 for just ERRORing
> in the case.

Thanks for the lookup. Do you have a good idea for the error message to
provide to users in this case? I would tend to think that "cannot move
slot which has never been reserved" or "cannot move slot which has never
been used", particularly the first one, are fine enough, but I am not
stopped at one single idea in particular either.
--
Michael