Re: Large Commitfest items

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large Commitfest items
Date: 2018-07-01 18:50:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-07-01 14:46:47 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> There has been some discussion around excluding large items from the
> current commitfest, for several reasons. However I don't recall ever
> seeing a definition of a large item. It seems to be a bit like "I know
> it when I see it." I've been looking at the current commitfest
> entries. Based on that I suggest a heuristic that says a commitfest
> item with patches greater than 5000 lines is large.

FWIW, I personally think the criteria should rather be "old" or "very
small". I.e. for patches that have waited for review being large
shouldn't necessarily be an impediment for getting worked on (depending
on invasiveness maybe not committed), and very small for newer things
should be way below 5kloc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund