Re: Few cosmetic suggestions for commit 16828d5c (Fast Alter Table Add Column...)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Few cosmetic suggestions for commit 16828d5c (Fast Alter Table Add Column...)
Date: 2018-06-14 18:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Jun-14, Amit Kapila wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 5:08 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > 2.
> > +/*
> > + * Structure used to represent value to be used when the attribute is not
> > + * present at all in a tuple, i.e. when the column was created after the
> > tuple
> > + */
> > +
> > +typedef struct attrMissing
> > +{
> > + bool ammissingPresent; /* true if non-NULL missing value exists
> > */
> > + Datum ammissing; /* value when attribute is missing */
> > +} AttrMissing;
> > +

> As nobody responded, it seems that the variable naming pointed above
> is okay, but in any case, I think we should fix cosmetic changes
> proposed. I will commit the patch unless you or someone thinks that
> we should change the name of the variable.

We used to use prefixes for common struct members names to help
disambiguate across members that would otherwise have identical names in
different structs. Our convention was to use _ as a separator. This
convention has been partially lost, but seems we can use it to good
effect here, by renaming ammissingPresent to am_present and ammissing to
am_missing (I would go as far as suggesting am_default or am_substitute
or something like that).

BTW I think "the result stored" is correct English.