Re: Portability concerns over pq_sendbyte?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Portability concerns over pq_sendbyte?
Date: 2018-06-13 05:10:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 02:25:44PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 12:27:58PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Do you have an answer to this question? Does anybody else?
>>
>> (My guts tell me it'd be better to change these routines to take
>> unsigned values, without creating extra variants. But guts frequently
>> misspeak.)
>
> My guts are telling me as well to not have more variants. On top of
> that it seems to me that we'd want to rename any new routines to include
> "uint" in their name instead of "int", and for compatibility with past
> code pq_sendint should not be touched.

And also pq_sendint64 needs to be kept around for compatibility. I have
quickly looked at how much code would be involved here and there are
quite close to 240 code paths which involve the new routines. Please
see attached for reference, I have not put much thoughts into it to be
honest, so that's really at an early stage.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
pq-send-uint-v1.patch text/x-diff 49.0 KB