Re: CF bug fix items

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: CF bug fix items
Date: 2018-06-11 04:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 10:41:26AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Six of them are marked "ready for committer" and all of those have a
> committer named as either author or reviewer. It would be good to get those
> committed as soon as possible. So Heikki, Michael, Alexander, Simon, Etsuro
> and Thomas, that means you :-) Pleas claim and commit those if possible, or
> at least move them forward.

Thanks for beginning this thread and summarizing the situation.

> "Fix the optimization to skip WAL-logging on table created in same
> transaction" has been in 10 (!) commitfests. It's seen no substantive action
> since November. It has a bunch of authors and reviewers listed, Surely
> somebody can move it forward?

I think that this is a complicated topic, which results in a rather
large and invasive patch introducing new logic concepts in order to fix
a rather narrow use-case. So I am wondering if it is really something
we ought to fix here..

> "Fix a bug that can prevent standby from restarting" has been around for 6
> CFs. This appears to be covered by commit
> 0668719801838aa6a8bda330ff9b3d20097ea844. Can we just closed this one out?
> If there's more work left to do another CF item could be added.

Yes, I have marked it as committed.

> Of the rest that have been around since January,
>
> "pg_rewind corrupts control file global/pg_control" discussion stopped in
> April. Tom had made some comments to which Michael responded.

Yeah, for this one I can see a bunch of approaches, and each one has
unwelcome downsides, so if we were to patch something I think that I
would go with the documentation-only patch. Something which could be
considered for the future is to extend pg_stat_file so as it returns the
umask of a file which could be used as a filter. The good thing is that
we use stat() in pg_stat_file() which would return the info about the
file a symlink points to. The thing is that we need to look at files
which cannot be written locally as well as remotely. So it may be a lot
of facility for a small use-case, still that could be an interesting set
of two TODO items (one for pg_rewind, one to extend pg_stat_file).

> "Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows", discussion stopped in
> March.

So the commit fest entry is here:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/18/1525/
Noah has committed a portion of things with cbfffee4. Craig, as you
already looked at the first patch, perhaps you could check the latest
version? Or Noah as you looked at the thread?

"Cascaded standby cannot start after a shutdown" which is here is
something I already reviewed and proposed a solution for, so I could
look at that again:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/18/1516/

"Failure at replay for corrupted 2PC files + reduce window between
end-of-recovery record and history file write" is also something
worrying me per the way we simply ignore on-disk 2PC files which are
corrupted in the data directory. So I could look at this one if there
are no objections. The last set of patches is here as well:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqT9V6N7Wm7npkqcHf-beLtZ82z2dNG_5cwfBLg%3Dm5PfUw%40mail.gmail.com
--
Michael