Re: Supporting tls-server-end-point as SCRAM channel binding for OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sfackler(at)gmail(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Supporting tls-server-end-point as SCRAM channel binding for OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
Date: 2018-06-06 16:37:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-May-29, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:33:03PM -0400, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Hmm. I think Peter went through this in commits ac3ff8b1d8 and 054e8c6cdb.
> > If you got that working now, I suppose we could do that, but I'm actually
> > inclined to just stick to the current, more straightforward code, and
> > require OpenSSL 1.0.2 for this feature. OpenSSL 1.0.2 has been around for
> > several years now. It's not available on all the popular platforms and
> > distributions yet, but I don't want to bend over backwards to support those.
>
> I think that this mainly boils down to how much Postgres JDBC wants to
> get support here as some vendors can maintain oldest versions of OpenSSL
> for a long time. The extra code is not that much complicated by the
> way, still it is true that HEAD is cleaner with its simplicity.
>
> Steven, as the initial reporter, what's your take?

If SCRAM channel binding is an important aspect to security, and the
older OpenSSL versions will still be around in servers for some time
yet, it seems like it behooves us to go the extra mile and provide an
implementation that works with such existing servers. Looking at
yum.postgresql.org, we seem to offer Postgres 11 packages for RHEL 6,
which appears to have openssl 1.0.0.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong, this thread has stalled. I hereby sprinkle
this thread with magic RMT dust for it to get fixed soon.