Re: Portability concerns over pq_sendbyte?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Portability concerns over pq_sendbyte?
Date: 2018-06-06 16:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-May-24, Andrew Gierth wrote:

> In PG11, pq_sendbyte got changed from taking an int parameter to taking
> an int8.

> Would it be better for these to take unsigned values, or have unsigned
> variants?

Do you have an answer to this question? Does anybody else?

(My guts tell me it'd be better to change these routines to take
unsigned values, without creating extra variants. But guts frequently
misspeak.)

Andres, you own this open item, unless one of the other committers who
have participated in this thread would like to take it as their own.