Re: existence of a savepoint?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191(at)mtneva(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: existence of a savepoint?
Date: 2018-05-29 23:01:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2018-May-29, Stuart McGraw wrote:

> Alternatively if there were a setting to tell Postgresql to
> follow the SQL standard behavior of overwriting rather stacking
> savepoints, that too would also solve my current problem I think.
> Perhaps it is just my limited experience but the former behavior
> has always seemed more useful in practice than the latter.

I think if what we're doing breaks the semantics of the SQL spec, we're
definitely open to changing our behavior. But that wouldn't solve your
problem today. What I think could solve your problem today is a
C-language extension that uses xact.c callbacks in order to expose a
list that you can query from user space.