Re: Syndicating PostgreSQL mailing list to Discourse

From: Ian Zimmerman <itz(at)very(dot)loosely(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2018-05-25 21:46:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2018-05-25 14:03, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> > If our mirror archive gets enough traction we'd like to make it
> > possible to sign up to the forum and seamlessly interact with the
> > mailing list,
>
> Well 'seamlessly works' would be the important part. In the past when
> this was tried(can't remember the who) the posts lagged noticeably and
> content went missing.

Also (as with any kind of message gateway) please, Please, **PLEASE**
preserve the Message-ID when crossing the boundaries. Otherwise
threading goes out of the window, despite the best efforts of those
among us who still care about it.

This is the reason why I stopped following gnu.* hierarchy (which is
joined two way with @gnu.org mailing lists by Mailman, and Mailman
violates this rule). If you do it wrong, I'll stop following this list
too.