Infinite loop on master shutdown

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Infinite loop on master shutdown
Date: 2018-05-17 08:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, as in pgsql-bug ML.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180517.170021.24356216.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp

Master can go into infinite loop on shutdown. But it is caused by
a broken database like storage rolled-back one. (The steps to
replay this is shown in the above mail.)

I think this can be avoided by rejecting a standby if it reports
that write LSN is smaller than flush LSN after catching up.

Is it worth fixing?

# The patch is slightly different from that I posted to -bugs.

It is enough to chek for the invalid state just once but the
patch continues the check.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
reject_invalid_standby.patch text/x-patch 1014 bytes