== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 13 2018 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 13 2018 ==
Date: 2018-05-13 19:03:17
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 13 2018 ==

PostgreSQL security releases 10.4, 9.6.9, 9.5.13, 9.4.18, and 9.3.23 are out.
Please read the announcement below and upgrade as soon as possible.
https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1851/

PG Day France 2018 will take place in Marseille on June 26, 2018.
http://pgday.fr/

PgConf Silicon Valley 2018 will be held in San Francisco on September 5-7, 2018.
The CfP is open until June 12th, Anywhere on Earth (AoE) (2018-06-12 23:59:59-12:00)
https://2018.postgresopen.org/callforpapers/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

pgBackRest 2.02, a backup and restore system for PostgreSQL, released.
https://pgbackrest.org/release.html#2.02

== PostgreSQL Jobs for May ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2018-05/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGCon 2018 will take place in Ottawa on May 29 - June 1, 2018.
https://www.pgcon.org/2018/

Swiss PGDay 2018 will take place in Rapperswil (near Zurich) on June 29, 2018.
Registration is open through June 28, 2018.
http://www.pgday.ch/2018/

PGConf.Brazil 2018 will take place in São Paulo, Brazil on August 3-4 2018.
http://pgconf.com.br

The Portland PostgreSQL Users Group will be holding a PGDay on September 10,
2018 in Portland, OR. The CfP is open at https://goo.gl/forms/E0CiUQGSZGMYwh922
https://pdx.postgresql.us/pdxpgday2018

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm EST5EDT. Please send English
language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian
language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Remove unused macro. left behind by db3af9feb19f39827e916145f88fa5eca3130cb2
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/659442e40d57af5ea00dfc3d31266ef0cfb8278e

- doc: Fix minor markup issue. There shouldn't be a line break between two
adjacent tags, because that will appear as whitespace in the output. (The
rendering engine might in turn collapse that whitespace away, so it might not
actually make a difference, but it's more correct this way.)
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/baf21b922a18c2809068238503ebb3797994e615

- doc: Improve spelling and wording a bit.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a43a4509f8a9249ba6c2734596c029f0430a75bc

- Refine error messages. "JSON" when not referring to a data type should be
upper case.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/831f5d11ec7bb8a693c581720d014b3a5ad7d446

Robert Haas pushed:

- Documentation updates for partitioning. Takayuki Tsunakawa Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1F965627@G01JPEXMBYT05
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f955d7ee166dfa053caa6d1bdb2a28b28b212fe3

- doc: Restrictions on InitPlans in parallel queries relaxed. This updates the
documentation for changes originally made in commit
e89a71fb449af2ef74f47be1175f99956cf21524. Patch by me, reviewed (but not
entirely endorsed) by Amit Kapila. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+Tgmoa+vupW8V_gBonz6hU7WwN2zJ=UTsVWCVB+rN6vaaXfZw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ddc1f32ee5073503a396c7a4df32865205dd3970

Tom Lane pushed:

- Last-minute updates for release notes. The set of functions that need
parallel-safety adjustments isn't the same in 9.6 as 10, so I shouldn't have
blindly back-patched that list. Adjust as needed. Also, provide examples of
the commands to issue.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f34f0e4c58a31e5edd3aa8a23e171fbcf7e01ff2

- Suppress compiler warnings when building with --enable-dtrace. Most versions
of "dtrace -h" drop const qualifiers from the declarations of probe functions
(though macOS gets it right). This causes compiler warnings when we pass in
pointers to const. Repair by extending our existing post-processing of the
probes.h file. To do so, assume that all "char *" arguments should be "const
char *"; that seems reasonably safe. Thomas Munro Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=2j1pWSruQJqJ91ZDzD8w9ZZDsM4j2C6x75C-VryWg-_w@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/513ff52e81675f26ceb91e8301019546439d73c9

- Update oidjoins regression test for v11. Commit 86f575948 already manually
updated the oidjoins test for the new pg_constraint.conparentid =>
pg_constraint.oid relationship, but failed to update findoidjoins/README, thus
the apparent inconsistency here. Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20180507001811.GA27389@paquier.xyz
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fbb99e5883d88687de4dbd832c2843f600ab3dd8

- Undo extra chattiness of postmaster logs in TAP tests. Commit 6271fceb8
changed PostgresNode.pm to force log_min_messages = debug1 in all TAP tests,
without any discussion and without a concrete need for it. This makes some of
the TAP tests noticeably slower (although much of that may be due to
poorly-written regexes), and for certain it's bloating the buildfarm logs.
Revert the change. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/32459.1525657786@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/17551f1a21fa8e70aa0bca1153de03460742565c

- Count heap tuples in non-SnapshotAny path in IndexBuildHeapRangeScan().
Brown-paper-bag bug in commit 7c91a0364: when we rearranged the placement of
"reltuples += 1" statements, we missed including one in this code path. The
net effect of that was that CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY would set the table's
pg_class.reltuples to zero, as would index builds done during bootstrap mode.
(It seems like parallel index builds ought to fail similarly, but they don't,
perhaps because reltuples is computed in some other way. You certainly
couldn't figure that out from the abysmally underdocumented parallelism code
in this area.) I was led to this by wondering why initdb seemed to have slowed
down as a result of 7c91a0364, as is evident in the buildfarm's timing
history. The reason is that every system catalog with indexes had
pg_class.reltuples = 0 after bootstrap, causing the planner to make some
terrible choices for queries in the post-bootstrap steps. On my workstation,
this fix causes the runtime of "initdb -N" to drop from ~2.0 sec to ~1.4 sec,
which is almost though not quite back to where it was in v10. That's not much
of a deal for production use perhaps, but it makes a noticeable difference for
buildfarm and "make check-world" runs, which do a lot of initdbs.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3a675f729ea96c8bf3e764996a0c743500e564ef

- Improve initdb's query for generating default descriptions a little. While
poking into initdb's performance, I noticed that this query wasn't being done
very intelligently. By forcing it to execute obj_description() for each
pg_proc/pg_operator join row, we were essentially setting up a nestloop join
to pg_description, which is not a bright query plan when there are hundreds of
outer rows. Convert the check for a "deprecated" operator into a NOT EXISTS
so that it can be done as a hashed antijoin. On my workstation this reduces
the time for this query from ~ 35ms to ~ 10ms. Which is not a huge win, but
it adds up over buildfarm runs. In passing, insert forced query breaks (\n\n,
in single-user mode) after each SQL-query file that initdb sources, and after
some relatively new queries in setup_privileges(). This doesn't make a lot of
difference normally, but it will result in briefer, saner error messages if
anything goes wrong.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dec10340d5ba63cf338dea256ac0fa66c649bf9e

- Improve inefficient regexes in vacuumdb TAP test. The regexes used in
102_vacuumdb_stages.pl to check the postmaster log for expected output
contained several places with ".*.*", which is underdetermined and can cause
exponential runtime growth in Perl's regex matcher (since it's not bright
enough not to waste time seeing whether different splits of the same substring
would allow a match). We were fortunate that the amount of text in the
postmaster log was generally not enough to make the runtime go to the moon;
although commit 6271fceb8 had been on the hairy edge of an obvious problem,
thanks to its increasing the default log verbosity to DEBUG1. Experimentation
shows that anyone who tried to run this test case with an even higher log
verbosity would have been in for serious pain. But even at default logging
level, fixing this saves several hundred ms on my workstation, more on slower
buildfarm members. Remove the extra ".*"s, restoring more-or-less-linear
matching speed. Back-patch to 9.4 where the test case was added, mostly in
case anyone tries to do related debugging in a back branch. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/32459.1525657786@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c63913ca7d1df241149a02fddf9819952b998028

- Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2018e. DST law changes in North
Korea. Redefinition of "daylight savings" in Ireland, as well as for some
past years in Namibia and Czechoslovakia. Additional historical corrections
for Czechoslovakia. With this change, the IANA database models Irish
timekeeping as following "standard time" in summer, and "daylight savings" in
winter, so that the daylight savings offset is one hour behind standard time
not one hour ahead. This does not change their UTC offset (+1:00 in summer,
0:00 in winter) nor their timezone abbreviations (IST in summer, GMT in
winter), though now "IST" is more correctly read as "Irish Standard Time" not
"Irish Summer Time". However, the "is_dst" column in the pg_timezone_names
view will now be true in winter and false in summer for the Europe/Dublin
zone. Similar changes were made for Namibia between 1994 and 2017, and for
Czechoslovakia between 1946 and 1947. So far as I can find, no Postgres
internal logic cares about which way tm_isdst is reported; in particular,
since commit b2cbced9e we do not rely on it to decide how to interpret
ambiguous timestamps during DST transitions. So I don't think this change
will affect any Postgres behavior other than the timezone-view outputs.
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/30996.1525445902@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/234bb985c574d1ed9e63d382b327ac3d3e329c56

- Last-minute updates for release notes. Security: CVE-2018-1115
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b56d5f230fae5fccf4fb9f255dfa78b01afed0d9

- Doc: fix overenthusiastic markup. I get "WARNING: nested link may be
undefined in output: <xref @linkend = 'pgbench'> nested inside parent element
link" from this. Also remove some trailing whitespace.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d9fcf7f5e387c29427ff37b5e0fb0763f9a2b10a

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Clean up some perlcritic warnings. In Catalog.pm, mark eval of a string
instead of a block as allowed. Disallow perlcritic completely in
Gen_dummy_probes.pl, as it's generated code. Protect a couple of lines in
plperl code from perltidy, so that the annotation for perlcritic stays on the
same line as the construct it would otherwise object to.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d2c1512ac48c1c25dfec07d341e9b74e57f6fbc4

- Add a script and a config file to run perlcritic. This is similar to what we
do to run perltidy. For now we only run at severity level 5. Over time we can
improve our perl code and reduce the severity level. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/86aa2a3a-0c68-21fb-9560-84ad6914d561@2ndQuadrant.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/91703ca2144e58d041c132fb7ff06a6d1721e904

- Restrict vertical tightness to parentheses in Perl code. The vertical
tightness settings collapse vertical whitespace between opening and closing
brackets (parentheses, square brakets and braces). This can make data
structures in particular harder to read, and is not very consistent with our
style in non-Perl code. This patch restricts that setting to parentheses only,
and reformats all the perl code accordingly. Not applying this to parentheses
has some unfortunate effects, so the consensus is to keep the setting for
parentheses and not for the others. The diff for this patch does highlight
some places where structures should have trailing commas. They can be added
manually, as there is no automatic tool to do so. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/a2f2b87c-56be-c070-bfc0-36288b4b41c1@2ndQuadrant.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/35361ee78890ce5b559a710c8fa2fdfa843eb280

- perltidy some recent code changes before changing perltidy settings.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/286bb240e1c8e279efa2d805c7f700abfb771925

Teodor Sigaev pushed:

- Improve jsonb cast error message. Initial variant of error message didn't
follow style of another casting error messages and wasn't informative. Per
gripe from Robert Haas. Reviewer: Tom Lane Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BTgmob08StTV9yu04D0idRFNMh%2BUoyKax5Otvrix7rEZC8rMw%40mail(dot)gmail(dot)com#CA+Tgmob08StTV9yu04D0idRFNMh+UoyKax5Otvrix7rEZC8rMw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cb5d94295986298af666534970f9bb3715574646

- Various improvements of skipping index scan during vacuum techniques. *
Change vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor GUC to PGC_USERSET.
vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor GUC was defined as PGC_SIGHUP. But this GUC
affects not only autovacuum. So it might be useful to change it from user
session in order to influence manually runned VACUUM. * Add missing
tab-complete support for vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor reloption. * Fix
condition for B-tree index cleanup. Zero value of
vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor means that user wants B-tree index cleanup
to be never skipped. * Documentation and comment improvements Authors: Justin
Pryzby, Alexander Korotkov, Liudmila Mantrova Reviewed by: all authors and
Robert Haas Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20180502023025.GD7631%40telsasoft.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8e12f4a250d250a89153da2eb9b91c31bb80c483

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Remove useless 'default' clause. Author: Michael Paquier Reviewed-by: Amit
Langote Reviewed-by: Álvaro Herrera Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20180424012042.GD1570@paquier.xyz Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20180509061039.GC11897@paquier.xyz
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c775fb9e18ace94e61d5d9587b5667f7baaca459

- Make gen_partprune_steps static. There's no need to export this function, so
don't. Michaël didn't actually write the patch, but we list him as first
author because with a trivial one like this, intellectual authorship is as
important (if not more) as bit shovelling. Author: Michaël Paquier, Amit
Langote Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/c91299c4-199b-0f16-339b-a29d6d2a39ee@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d1e2cac5ff7eaf3e9feac419205b3e08052be961

- Fix assorted partition pruning bugs. match_clause_to_partition_key failed to
consider COERCION_PATH_ARRAYCOERCE cases in scalar-op-array expressions, so it
was possible to crash the server easily. To handle this case properly (ie.
prune partitions) we would need to run a bit of executor code during planning.
Maybe it can be improved, but for now let's just not crash. Add a test case
that used to trigger the crash. Author: Michaël Paquier
match_clause_to_partition_key failed to indicate that operators that don't
have a commutator in a btree opclass are unsupported. It is possible for this
to cause a crash later if such an operator is used in a scalar-op-array
expression. Add a test case that used to the crash. Author: Amit Langote One
caller of gen_partprune_steps_internal in match_clause_to_partition_key was
too optimistic about the former never returning an empty step list. Rid it of
its innocence. (Having fixed the bug above, I no longer know how to exploit
this, so no test case for it, but it remained a bug.) Revise code flow a
little bit, for succintness. Author: Álvaro Herrera Reported-by: Marina
Polyakova Reviewed-by: Michaël Paquier Reviewed-by: Amit Langote Reviewed-by:
Álvaro Herrera Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/ff8f9bfa485ff961d6bb43e54120485b@postgrespro.ru
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d758d9702e2f64f08565e18eb6cb7991efa2dc16

- Add relkind 'I' to catalog.sgml's list relkinds. Commit 8b08f7d4820f added a
relkind for local partitioned indexes, but failed to add it to pg_class's list
of possible relkinds. Repair. Author: Peter Geoghegan, Michaël Paquier
https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkOKptQiE51Bh4_xeEHhaBwHkZkGtKizrFMgEkfUuRRQg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/550091f218ce9bff92e3753332142ed6917c27d5

- pgstatindex, pageinspect: handle partitioned indexes. Commit 8b08f7d4820f
failed to update these modules to at least give non-broken error messages for
partitioned indexes. Add appropriate error support to them. Peter G. was
complaining about a problem of unfriendly error messages; while we haven't
fixed that yet, subsequent discussion let to discovery of these unhandled
cases. Author: Michaël Paquier Reported-by: Peter Geoghegan Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkOKptQiE51Bh4_xeEHhaBwHkZkGtKizrFMgEkfUuRRQg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bef5fcc36be3d08ec123889a0c82f5e07a63ff88

- pgstatindex: HASH -> hash. Fix the lone error message in the whole source
tree to use capitalized HASH when referring to hash indexes, making it look
like all the other messages. Someday it would be good to standardize
'B-Tree', 'B-tree', 'btree', and random other spellings, too, but that's a
larger patch ... Author: Álvaro Herrera
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c8478f4fd908b5a122b5638018bbb749ac0e862f

- docs: Rework sections on partition pruning/exclusion. Explain partition
pruning more thoroughly, in a section above the one that explains constraint
exclusion, since the new feature is the one that will be used more extensively
from now on. Move some of the material from the constraint exclusion
subsection to the one on partition pruning, so that we can explain the legacy
method by explaining the differences with the new one instead of repeating it.
Author: David Rowley, Álvaro Herrera Reviewed-by: Amit Langote, David G.
Johnston, Justin Pryzby Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAKJS1f8PECxEi1YQ9nhVtshtfOMHUzAMm_Zp4gGCOCnMPjEKJA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bebc46931a1215567d4aabaebb406848f5a82340

Stephen Frost pushed:

- adminpack: Revoke EXECUTE on pg_logfile_rotate(). In 9.6, we moved a number
of functions over to using the GRANT system to control access instead of
having hard-coded superuser checks. As it turns out, adminpack was creating
another function in the catalog for one of those backend functions where the
superuser check was removed, specifically pg_rotate_logfile(), but it didn't
get the memo about having to REVOKE EXECUTE on the alternative-name function
(pg_logfile_rotate()), meaning that in any installations with adminpack on 9.6
and higher, any user is able to run the pg_logfile_rotate() function, which
then calls pg_rotate_logfile() and rotates the logfile. Fix by adding a new
version of adminpack (1.1) which handles the REVOKE. As this function should
have only been available to the superuser, this is a security issue, albeit a
minor one. In HEAD, move the changes implemented for adminpack up to be
adminpack 2.0 instead of 1.1. Security: CVE-2018-1115
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7b347409fa2776fbaa4ec9c57365f48a2bbdb80c

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- docs: clarify that CREATE TABLE ... _AS_ can be parallelized. CREATE TABLE
without AS doesn't have anything to parallelize.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/25468994cab87ab7e946b6866937ee642fc1261d

- docs: initial draft of PG 11 release notes.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5631c99d2a374e17abcb2ff63f58fcaf5c3a5248

- doc: markup for PG 11 release notes and included email tips.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6186d0bd615ed2eb921ad13ccdf4ceed19d3f7a8

- docs: more PG 11 markup and email suggestions.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fb68638ae8af3d5f5a9dcddb8e513f21b2797361

- doc: update PG 11 rel. notes for ALTER TABLE's non-null default.
Reported-by: Peter Geoghegan
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8c6227a2f3cdf144c4de135329fd76eb66f5684a

== Pending Patches ==

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to remove some newlines no longer needed when
PQErrorMessage is used.

Alexander Kuzmenkov sent in another revision of a patch to make pg_ctl play
better with logrotate.

Amit Langote sent in another revision of a patch to fix how
get_partition_operator looks up the operator.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to make guc_malloc/strdup/realloc available to
plugins.

Ildar Musin sent in another revision of a patch to add a MAP syntax for arrays.

Robert Haas sent in two revisions of a patch to improve the documentation for
parallel append.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix a bug that
manifested as expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with
partition wise join enabled.

Álvaro Herrera sent in another revision of a patch to fix gaps in modules with
handling of partitioned indexes.

Craig Ringer sent in another revision of a patch to PANIC when we detect a
possible fsync I/O error instead of retrying fsync.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to add a test case accessing system columns from
a trigger function.

Pavel Raiskup sent in a patch to implement shared library symbol versioning and
clean up the libpq build to support same.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to check the /etc/localtime symlink for zone name, a
test much shorter than the one initdb currently runs.

David Rowley sent in three revisions of a patch to remove a needless additional
partition check in INSERT.

Etsuro Fujita sent in two revisions of a patch to modify make_modifytable so
that in case of an inherited UPDATE/DELETE, it passes to PlanDirectModify the
per-child modified subroot, not the parent root, for the FDW to get the
foreign-join RelOptInfo from the given root in PlanDirectModify.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in a patch to add a hook for extensions which can get
notified when query cancel or DIE signal is received, then use same for
PL/PythonU.

Pavan Deolasee sent in a WIP patch to always clear the minRecoveryPoint after
promotion to ensure that crash recovery always run to the end if a just-promoted
standby crashes before completing its first regular checkpoint.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to error out even before calling DefineIndex on
foreign partitions.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to enable asynchronous
execution and use that machinery in the PostgreSQL FDW.

Peter Eisentraut and Tom Lane traded patches to do lazy detoasting.