Re: Make description of heap records more talkative for flags

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make description of heap records more talkative for flags
Date: 2018-04-23 16:02:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

Andres Freund wrote:

> > Michael Paquier wrote:
> > >
> > > That would do as well for me.
> >
> > Me too. Should we consider this for pg11? My vote is yes, with no
> > backpatch (might break scripts reading pg_{wal,xlog}dump output.
> > Though, really!?).
>
> It's low risk enough, but why should we try to get it into v11? Flags
> been around for years now.

I was thinking the newly added flags would make for possibly more
confusing scenarios, but now that I look again, the new ones are XLHL
flags not the XLOG flags being handled in this patch.

Now, frankly, this being mostly a debugging tool, I think it would be
better to have the output as complete as we can. Otherwise, when
debugging some hideous problem we find ourselves patching the tool
during an emergency in order to figure out what is going on. For this,
I would rather patch the earliest version we conveniently can. We
cannot patch pg10 because it's already out there, but not so for pg11.