Re: Event trigger bugs (was Re: Repeated crashes in GENERATED ... AS IDENTITY tests)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Event trigger bugs (was Re: Repeated crashes in GENERATED ... AS IDENTITY tests)
Date: 2018-04-19 22:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Hence, two questions:
>
> * Should EventTriggerTableRewrite do
>
> if (!currentEventTriggerState ||
> currentEventTriggerState->commandCollectionInhibited)
> return;
>
> like most of the other functions, or should it just check for null
> currentEventTriggerState?

I vaguely recall that commandCollectionInhibited is to hide internal
queries launched via SPI by matview REFRESH CONCURRENTLY. I'm not sure
if refresh involves a table rewrite that could trigger the bug here, but
I'd be consistent about it.

I don't know the answer to the second question.

> The point that running fast_default in parallel with a pile of other
> regression tests is damfool test design still stands, but I have to
> credit it with having exposed a bug.

Indubitably.