Re: Native partitioning tablespace inheritance

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Native partitioning tablespace inheritance
Date: 2018-04-11 20:54:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:52:06PM -0400, Keith Fiske wrote:
> Any chance of this being an inheritable property that can simply be
> overridden if the TABLESPACE flag is set when creating a child table? If
> it's not set, just set the tablespace to whatever was set for the parent.

I am wondering how you would actually design that without some kind of
unintuitive behavior for the end user as for some applications a set of
child partitions sometimes take advantage of the fact that they are on
separate tablespaces. Hence why not relying on default_tablespace
instead when creating the partition set, or use a function wrapper which
enforces the tablespace when the partition is created?
--
Michael