Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhils(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Sokolov Yura <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date: 2018-04-06 16:20:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-04-06 21:30:36 +0930, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> OK, I think this is now committable.

> The changes are small, fairly isolated in effect, and I think every
> objection has been met, partly by reducing the scope of the
> changes. By committing this we will allow plugin authors to start
> developing 2PC support, which is important in some use cases.
>
> I therefore intent to commit these patches some time before the
> deadline, either in 12 hours or so, or about 24 hours after that
> (which would be right up against the deadline by my calculation) ,
> depending on some other important obligations I have.

I object. And I'm negatively surprised that this is even considered.

This is a complicated patch that has been heavily reworked in the last
few days to, among other things, address objections that have first been
made months ago ([1]). There we nontrivial bugs less than a day ago. It
has not received a lot of reviews since these changes. This isn't an
area you've previously been involved in to a significant degree.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20180209211025.d7jxh43fhqnevhji%40alap3.anarazel.de