Re: Commit 4dba331cb3 broke ATTACH PARTITION behaviour.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org
Cc: rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commit 4dba331cb3 broke ATTACH PARTITION behaviour.
Date: 2018-03-30 08:31:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 29 Mar 2018 13:04:06 -0300, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote in <20180329160406(dot)ii2wgbkmlnfxtwbt(at)alvherre(dot)pgsql>
> Rushabh Lathia wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, offhand I don't quite see why this error fails to be thrown.
> >
> > ATTACH PARTITION should throw an error, because partition table "foo"
> > already have two partition with key values (1, 2,3 4). And table "foo_d"
> > which we are attaching here has :
>
> Oh, I understand how it's supposed to work. I was just saying I don't
> understand how this bug occurs. Is it because we fail to determine the
> correct partition constraint for the default partition in time for its
> verification scan?

The reason is that CommandCounterIncrement added in
StorePartitionBound reveals the just added default partition to
get_default_oid_from_partdesc too early. The revealed partition
has immature constraint and it overrites the right constraint
generated just above.

ATExecAttachPartition checks for default partition oid twice but
the second is just needless before the commit and harms after it.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_attach_partition.patch text/x-patch 656 bytes