Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature.
Date: 2018-03-29 18:43:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

> > Andres Freund wrote:
> >
> > > Could we add INSTALL to the all target in src/docs/sgml? It's a bit
> > > awkward that one can build the docs and miss such a mistake. It's fast
> > > to build in comparison to the rest of the docs, so that doesn't seem
> > > like a high price?
> >
> > Maybe it can be tested for in "make check"? That's probably even
> > faster.
>
> Hm, what's wrong just doing it in the normal build? It's a desired build
> artifact, so I really don't see any argument for not building it by
> default? Don't quite see what the advantage of doing it during make
> check would be?

I meant running something that would check that the file compiles,
without actually producing the output. For the regular docs, there's a
couple of orders of magnitude of difference in time to do the check vs.
the actual build.

It takes 1.2 second to build for me FWIW, so it's not like it's a huge
time waste anyhow. Probably more than what will ever be saved has
already been spent in this conversation :-)