Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE
Date: 2018-03-23 17:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think this documentation change:

+ leaving the old cluster untouched. At present, this is supported on Linux
---------

would be better by changing "untouched" to "unmodified".

Also, it would be nice if users could easily know if pg_upgrade is going
to use COW or not because it might affect whether they choose --link or
not. Right now it seems unclear how a user would know. Can we have
pg_upgrade --check perhaps output something. Can we also have the
pg_upgrade status display indicate that too, e.g. change

Copying user relation files

Copying (copy-on-write) user relation files

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +